Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Last of the Daylilies

When I was a child, I grieved my mother, a Master Gardener and member of the Hemerocallis Society, with my sassy opinions of her favorite flower.
"They're all orange," I said, to her horror.

"No, look at all these colors," she replied, brandishing a daylily catalog.

"They're shades of orange," I huffed. While I still think daylilies remain planted at the orange side of the color wheel, I have come to appreciate them and actually have a few in my yard. No danger yet of turning into my mother, but now I'm old enough to know that's my loss.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip on FB about your blog. I knew you were considering it and I'm glad you took the plunge! Or, perhaps, you are simply wading to test the waters. Whatever your level of engagement, I applaud you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few daylilies in my yard, too. And everytime I see them, I think of Momma.

    ReplyDelete